Friday, January 30, 2015

Sleep on it!

I don't know about you, but some things get me all riled up. They just keep on dancing on my head and give my subconscience a headache :) And try as I might I am not able to shrug them and move on. Not good for my system at all. It could just something someone has said to me which was out of line or something that happened which was not expected. All in all I would get super upset and end up sulking.

Recently I attended a conference which had my company's CMO was asked a very simple thing. "How do you deal with a very stressful day where nothing goes your way and you are not able to do anything about it?" Her response was simple. " Just sleep on it". Her rationale was that the problem will not disappear tomorrow but it will not seem as daunting as it did today. That way you will get different ideas on how you can solve the issue.


Hmm so I agree with that. My issue though is that if I have something on my mind I cannot fall asleep. It will keep spinning in my mind. A lot of times I will not even know something is bothering me until I get a headache. After which I have to do a complete analysis to figure out what my mind is disliking. Complicated I know. 


One fine particularly crappy day, I decided to put this theory to test. I told myself that I will step away and deal with the situation after I have slept on it. It was tough to fall asleep with the problem running to my head at first. Eventually when I woke up the next morning I felt surprisingly clear headed. I did not have a Eureka!!! moment right away but the situation was not such a big deal any more. I felt more confident that I will be able to solve the problem. 


Not a bad advice Ms CMO. So far this has helped me in the way I deal with personal dilemmas. 


Some food for thought for you too!


Leena --<@


1 comment:

  1. Meditation for few minutes (may be 10-15) is another good thing to take care of things not in our control just before sleep.Acceptance is the first and foremost step.Most of the times we don't accept on whatever happened but get in the routine of why it happened and will analyse it to death( cause of headaches).Second step is Acknowledgement on what I can do and what I can't do ( atleast in short term).Acceptance/Acknowledgement itself brings peace to mind/body as it calms us down.Most of the times we keep debating inside our head which doesn't lead anywhere and is hard to sleep like that :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0GFDYCdYEs

    ReplyDelete